With our HQ in London, it
is no surprise that we have significant experience serving
the IP needs of the financial services industry.
Our patent prosecution practice has a particularly strong reputation in IT and software, and we have been pioneering the patenting of financial software for over twenty years.
We pride ourselves on getting difficult or borderline applications granted, and we have a high success rate at hearings before the European Patent Office, an example of which can be found here.
We have advised a wide range of clients in the financial sector, including investment banks, retail banks and specialised software houses. Past projects include:
- Clearance searching for FX.all FX trading platform.
- Opposition to Belzberg spreadsheet trading patent for Reuters, including appeal.
- Defending opposition to RealKredit patent on bond-backed mortgages.
- Advice to LIFFE on Chicago Exchange patent.
- Review of Microsoft patents on Windows for EU Commission.
- Due diligence advice for Citadel Investment Group.
Also, in our trade marks group, we are well aware of the particular needs of this sector. We file and prosecute trade mark applications for investment funds, private equity investors, product liability insurers and many more. Particular projects include worldwide domain name disputes for Fidelity Investments Ltd., and the trade mark dispute Direct Line v esure.